Manager 23Feb11

From GO Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

(Agenda carried over from 9-Feb)

Minutes: Emily

Attending: Kara, Emily, Pascale, David, Judy, Suzi, Paul T.

Old Business

  • Management tasks
    • David will figure out a way to get the MGI Curator's report to go to the entire GO group. Since so many small changes are made to term definitions that have no effect on annotation correctness we will not obsolete terms if we think the annotations will not be incorrect. Annotators will use the reports to refine their annotations if they think it is warranted. Annotators will also provide feedback to ontology developers.(Done, Amelia has written the report; http://www.geneontology.org/scratch/def_diffs.html)

- check that this is in the needed format, then send out to the GO list. This data could be updated once a week. However, should this be in the scratch directory - should it be in a separate location for reports? Need to talk with Chris.

    • Next GOC Meeting
      • May 19-21st in Southern California.

- Emily to get info from Paul T and will create a wiki page. - InterPro2GO attendance to be decided by GO tops.

  • Reference genome
    • PAINT annotations.
      • What are the roadblocks to the process that we could overcome by working on it further. What can't we do now that we would like to see? On a gene page, it would be nice to see the links to the family. This would be nice for a term page as well. Would also like to be able to search and sort on the families. Pascale will track down the requirements on the wiki and re-send it to the software group. We need to decide where this fits in and set a priority for it.

- good progress made by PAINT - now coverage by 1% of most species genomes by RefGenome annotation, varying by species. A pilot project no longer needed as have successfully been able to establish scope of project. Evidence codes

- conflict with other codes in ECO has caused change in the acronyms to IBD and IBA (Inferred from Ancestor and Inferred by...) used by PAINT

- discussion on requirement to differentiate ISS, ISO or triangulation PAINT methods. Need to clarify the PAINT curation guidelines - Pascale.

New Business

  • Proposal to tackle endocrine processes in GO.

- from Peter Robinson, not currently well represented in GO. However signalling have provided a structure which could help improve representation of endocrine signaling.Might be tough - need to find a majority of domain experts to work out this type of signalling. Suzi would like Bernard de Bono to attend if possible.

  • Who is going to tackle SF when Midori leaves at the end of February?

- best if one person is responsible for this work. Becky to train Poala in SourceForge when she starts on the 1st March.

  • Viral terms awaiting Jane's return from maternity leave, as was coordinating this project.
  • Short EBI grant from Apo-Sys available to tackle apotosis in GO. Essential component is a GO Apoptosis workshop at the beginning of June, wiki page here. Reference Genome curation support could be invaluable(Emily)

- Suzi: could Reactome be included.

  • Is it time to restructure GO-help so that a small dedicated team that is part of User advocacy tackles all of the questions?

- send ideas to GO-tops for job role.

Paper on GAF (Rama)

We (SGD) recently wanted to provide a reference for the GAF file format and realized that other than the website, we don't have an official publication. What do you think about writing a paper in the context of the 2 new columns? - Suzi, need to talk with Chris - dependent on future work on annotation format intended.