Managers 3Jan07

From GO Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

GO Managers Meeting Minutes 3rd January 2007

Present: Michael Ashburner, Judy Blake, Rex Chisholm, Jennifer Clark, Midori Harris, David Hill, Eurie Hong, Suzanna Lewis, Jane Lomax.

Review Action Items from previous meeting

  • Jane: to work out syntax for comments that will temporarily capture references for all expert input. Add to comments. This structure was proposed and agreed that it was a good simple start:

This term was [added/improved] by [GO_REF]. [any extra details e.g. whether the term was moved, the definition edited etc.]

  • Midori: will add go refs for content meetings and expert input as required. In progress.
  • Alex: to make ref for immunology meeting. In progress
  • Rex: tell us when the next reference genome list is coming out. The list was sent yesterday.
  • Jen: book a room for oboedit demo. This is an informal demo of how the GO editors use OBO-edit. It's scheduled for the day after the GOC meeting in an EBI conference room.
  • Midori: create mailing list for people to get sourceforge item listing and add this mailing list to the sourceforge script. DONE
  • Suzi & Chris to send new definition of "flagellum" (SF item). During the course of conversation with George Garrity, it came up that the definition of flagellum does not work for bacterium. He was to help contribute to a new definition. Suzi will revisit those emails.
  • Eurie looking into calendars. Will look to see if Google calendars acts like Google spreadsheets where you can add additional users.
  • Jen: conference software update. WebEx doesn't appear to work on Intel Macs but need to confirm with company. If the WebEx software doesn't work, will need to continue to explore other software. There will be a demo during the GO Consortium meeting.

Action items still pending:

  • Mike: find out how to upload a doc or pdf file to the wiki. Suzi was unable to do it.
  • Mike: please get back to Jen with an expected date for completion of the script that will allow people to download just the annotations from a single taxon from the UniProt file. To go on the GO website.
  • Michael to look at sex determination terms and questions about them from is_a complete work.

Individual Manager reports

Ontology Development

is_a complete release: Congratulations!! With the exception of a single MF term, the GO is now is_a complete. This required only about a dozen new terms. It was mostly relationships that needed to be fixed. There are still some issues to be worked through.

Meeting with Jonathan Liu:The current plan is for David, Jane, Midori, and Chris to visit Jonathan on Feb 26th. Because it's important for Chris to attend, will wait to hear from him before finalizing the date of the meeting.

Outreach

Jen has been talking to Michelle about working out the SOPs. And discussing what to present at the GOC meeting.

Software Group

Chris was absent.

Reference Genomes

The holiday break was good - most groups are caught up now. The E. coli folks haven't made much progress but what to do about that? They've got a lot to do in all areas and many issues to solve.

The next major projects are to develop interfaces for displaying metrics and genes annotated. Karen E. will send out some ideas regarding these topics. Rex is trying to set up a phone conference to discuss these with the reference genome group but the time zone differences make it difficult.

User Advocacy

Jane and Eurie were wondering what sort of metrics should be included in their report because everything is just starting. They have numbers about the traffic in gohelp - it's good that it's being used as soon as it was introduced. David, drawing on his former life as a technial support, listed several metrics that were used at user support:

  • How many calls were received?
  • What was the response time for each call?
  • How many calls were abandoned (never answered)?
  • How many calls were escalated (transferred to another person)?
  • How many calls needed further follow up or another phone call?

It is ok for this report to list any metrics we can as well as list metrics we want to be measuring. Some suggestions: Web usage. Mike did some metrics for the Caltech report. How are people getting to AmiGO? How deeply do they browse the tree? Are the ratios between users who download whole datasets and browse AMiGO changing?

Meetings

  • Upcoming GO Consortium meeting

Please review the action items from the St. Croix meeting so that the review of those items can be smooth.

There will be a virtual meeting with Alex scheduled for 1:30 PM GMT/8:30 AM EST on Tuesday. It would be good to be able to finalize which software should be used for these meetings.

Collaborations and Interactions, active and new

During the Operations section during Monday morning, Suzi will present some project management and issue tracking software. One suggestion is BaseCamp but Jen pointed out it doesn't appear to have a calendar view or an overview.

Suzi will put in action items from the St. Croix meeting and/or a single project (such as AmiGO or the cardiology content meeting) for demo purposes.

Operations and Procedures

Alex will touch on the use of the community annotation on the wiki. Before the virtual conference with him, Judy would like to discuss how the wiki is being used and how people are approaching it. We've been using it for a while. Chris has some suggestions about organizing it. But we should discuss how to move forward with it.

Staffing and Personnel

none

Budget Issues

none

Publications

none

Other Current Topics and Concerns

none

Action Items

Continuing:

  • Midori & Alex: Adding references for content meetings.
  • Suzi & Chris: Finishing definition of flagellum with George Garrity.
  • Eurie: working on Google calendar
  • Mike: find out how to upload a doc or pdf file to the wiki. Suzi was unable to do it.
  • Mike: please get back to Jen with an expected date for completion of the script that will allow people to download just the annotations from a single taxon from the UniProt file. To go on the GO website.
  • Michael to look at sex determination terms and questions about them from is_a complete work.

New:

  • Karen E. to send out ideas regarding display of metrics and annotations from the Reference Genome group.
  • Everyone review action items from St. Croix meeting.


Next call: January 17th. 8 am Pacific, 10 am Central, 11 am Eastern, 4 pm UK.