Non 1:1 receptor:ligand binding
Return to GOC Main Page
Return to Signaling Main Page []
It's well known that there is cross-talk amongst ligands and receptors, particularly within the growth factors. To represent this in GO, we will most likely require terms for:
- ligand-activated signaling pathways (E.g. VEGF-activated signaling pathway)
- receptor signaling pathways (E.g. PDGF receptor signaling pathway: MOST EXISTING TERMS ARE IN THIS FORMAT)
- Combination terms (E.g. VEGF-activated PDGF receptor signaling pathway)
For more detail, see slides 22-25 of the overview from the LA GOC meeting, May 2011.
The main issue is that in function the activity of the PDGFR is to bind PDGF and transmit a signal. To represent cross-talk. PDGFR signaling (in process) would refer to the gene product called PDGF, which can be activated by multiple ligands (including non-PDGFs). To make this less-confusing (as agreed in the May 2011 GOC meeting), I've changed the function terms for the growth factor receptors from 'platelet-derived growth factor receptor activity' to 'platelet-derived growth factor-ACTIVATED receptor activity'. With the addition of a HAS_PART link to 'PDGF binding', the activity is restricted to signaling from PDGF.
Related SourceForge Items
- Hormone and hormone receptor signaling pathways: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2974691&group_id=36855&atid=440764
- Norrin signaling: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3041964&group_id=36855&atid=440764
- VEGF can signal through platelet-derived growth factor receptors: PMID 17470632
- PDGF signaling in cells and mice. Figure 1 shows the preference of various PDGF members for PDGFRs: PMID 15207812
Changed the function terms for the growth factor receptors FROM 'platelet-derived growth factor receptor activity' TO 'platelet-derived growth factor-ACTIVATED receptor activity'. With the addition of a HAS_PART link to 'PDGF binding', the activity is restricted to signaling from PDGF.
Added terms to describe VEGF-PDGFR signaling (PMID 17470632; see above):
vascular endothelial growth factor signaling pathway ; GO:0038084 vascular endothelial growth factor binding ; GO:0038085 VEGF-activated platelet-derived growth factor receptor signaling pathway ; GO:0038086 VEGF-activated platelet-derived growth factor receptor-alpha signaling pathway ; GO:0038087 VEGF-activated platelet-derived growth factor receptor-beta signaling pathway ; GO:0038088