OE IRC 1June06
midori: hi there
midori: pretty quiet here ...
Alex_MGI: Who knows if John is even awake yet ...
midori: I wouldn't be, if I'd been up 'til 2:30!
Alex_MGI: So is there an actual cross-product bug still, or only the lack of proper error messages?
midori: What I've got now is that there is a way to get the cross-product system to do exactly what it's supposed to do. BUT ... it's a bit non-obvious, so the documentation needs a bit added. Also, it will allow you to do something weird (make a term its own genus or differentia), which I think we'll want to disallow.
midori: Karen C and I are comfortable with documenting the "own genus/diff" oddity as a known issue, releasing as is, and then fixing the behavior in the next release (it could even be a minor release, I suppose).
jclark: that seems like a good idea
Alex_MGI: I'm comfortable with that. I imagine the ability to create cross-products is a feature that is needed by only a small minority of users for the moment.
midori: Yes, and it does work.
jclark: that seems nice and straightforward then
Harold: I think that would work nicely; I'd rather not put off the 1.0 release unless absolutely required by a major flaw
Alex_MGI: We're probably burnt out by this process.
midori: same here, and I get the impression
midori: ... that John feels much the same too
jclark: I think it would be better to go ahead and release too
midori: (on both Harold's and Alex's points!)
jclark: We've worked hard to get it to a stable state
Harold: and certainly the documentation is better than it has ever been
Alex_MGI: Will John, then, be making the official announcement on GO Friends? I also think we need to modify the website tool page to emphasize OBO-Edit (and deemphasize DAG-Edit).
jclark: Amelia can do that quite quickly I think
Alex_MGI: Perhaps the tools should be listed separately and we make clear that OBO-Edit is the preferred and more advanced tool.
Alex_MGI: And that DAG-Edit still works, but is not going to be updated anymore.
midori: good idea, since DAG-Edit will still be available for a while (I don't know how long).
jclark: It is listed as aconsortium tool separately from the third party tools
jclark: oh I see
midori: We might also want to set a date to drop support for DAG-Edit.
Alex_MGI: I think we should give it a year, since some folks still use it.
jclark: I suppose many of the answers to questions will be 'that bug is fixed in obo-edit'
Harold: I also think that the betas, etc. should be hidden or removed to simplifiy the choices. Myabe leave one version of DAG-Edit and of course, One version of OBO-edit 1.0
Harold: me: fingers tripping over each other
midori: SourceForge already makes you dig a bit more for older than for the latest releases ...
Alex_MGI: Should we perhaps provide a direct download link for OBO-Edit on the GO Consortium pages, so that people don't have to deal with the Geekdom that is SourceForge?
jclark: yes I think that would be best
karen-c: sorry I'm late
rama: I second that idea.
midori: great idea!
Alex_MGI: We've already assumed that the non-bug quirks of cross-product creation are not show-stoppers for you to releasing the 1.0 version.
Alex_MGI: (addressing Karen)
karen-c: I was thinking the same thing
karen-c: I think we want to take some more time to decide what behavior we really want for the next release, but this shouldn't hold up this one.
midori: that's essentially what we've been thinking here too.
midori: (Hi, Tanya!)
tberardi: Hi! I'm downloading beta 26 right now but will have to run to another meeting at 10 am.
tberardi: Is John finally getting some sleep?
midori: I hope so ...
tberardi: Anything pressing that I can contribute to right now?
jclark: We're just all agreeing that it would be good to release
karen-c: It would be good to make sure that the things MIke Cherry needs (obo2flat and obodiff) are working properly
jclark: midori has just nipped out so nobody is chairing now
jclark: does anybody know what the score is with those other bugs?
tberardi: Have you divvied up those tasks yet?
jclark: whch tasks?
tberardi: Other than John saying that obodiff is fixed in beta26, no.
tberardi: Tasks: test obo2flat and test obodiff
Alex_MGI: Yes, that 's important for this release. Also, we just have to accept that someone will eventually find a bug we didn't, and it will be fixed in the next release.
jclark: so we could arrange for those two things to be tested today then?
karen-c: Of course, it's just that Mike has to be able to use the obo2flat script in order to be able to generate the legacy flat files
midori: I'm back ... (I was chairing?? )
jclark: other bugs are sure to emerge but the bad ones have been found I guess
jclark: I thought so yes.
tberardi: Has anyone tried the obo2flat before?
rama: Karen- Is Mike going to test this today?
karen-c: I'll see if MIke can test b26, and if not I'll give it a stab
midori: cool, thanx
jclark: and if they work then we're agreed it's okay to release?
karen-c: sounds good to me
jclark: So we should communicate that to John
tberardi: Sorry if I missed this but is the 'scary' bug that Karen C found in X products all ok now?
midori: Have we got anything else for now?
Alex_MGI: We should send him this transcript as well.
karen-c: I'm not sure it's a bug, I think it might be considered unanticipated behavior
tberardi: Hey! The DBxrefs weird GUI behavior is gone in beta 26! Yipee!
jclark: Hi tanya, it's in the transcript which will be sent out.
tberardi: OK, thanks Jen.
tberardi: I meant the Dbxref plugin weird window resizing behavior that Midori and I saw.
midori: I'll send the transcript to the list as usual ... anyone who knows of anyone else who should see it can forward it.
Harold: I know I can create the flats through OBO-EDIT itself.
karen-c: We do need to check the X products docs to make sure that we've included the tidbits about how to actually select and drag the x-product terms
Alex_MGI: Just point out that this was an ad-hoc IRC chat, not a regularly scheduled one.
tberardi: Sounds like there's a plan. Karen C/Mike C will test beta26 for obodiff and obo2flat behavior and we'll let John know if the results are positive so that he can release.
midori: Karen, can you do that documentation bit? If not I can have a go after I get home.
karen-c: I can edit the file, but I haven't got CVS access for the SF site sorted out, so I have to send JOhn the files
karen-c: Anyway, yes, I'll do it.
midori: Ah ... I've got SF CVS access sorted, so you can send to me if John's swamped.
karen-c: OK, I'll mail it to both of you
Alex_MGI: Are we all set then?
Alex_MGI: (to finish the chat)
midori: I think so ...
midori: (I know I'm ready to go home!)
tberardi: All set.
jclark: shall we be off then?
rama: yeap, all set.
karen-c: all set
jclark: bye then.
Alex_MGI: Great, good work everyone!
midori: thanks everyone!
Harold: we'll meet again... don't know where... don't know when..... (music).