Difference between revisions of "2014 Barcelona GOC Meeting Agenda"

From GO Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Literature Annotation)
(Website and outreach)
Line 19: Line 19:
# Site content (Moni)
# Site content (Moni)
#* GO site/docs development. (Moni, Seth) [https://trello.com/c/F7MnDGig/60-website-usability trello]
#* GO site/docs development. (Moni, Seth) [https://trello.com/c/F7MnDGig/60-website-usability trello]
#** What's missing and who is responsible for providing content
#** Review list of missing website content, ACTION: get volunteers to complete each missing item
#** Video tutorials
#** Video tutorials, ACTION: discuss suggestions for other tutorials
#* Google analytics (Seth/Rama)
#* Google analytics (Seth/Rama)
# AmiGO feedback and development (Seth)
# AmiGO feedback and development (Seth)

Revision as of 04:48, 9 October 2014

Daily schedule

  • Start: 9 AM
  • Morning coffee break: 10:30 to 11:00
  • Lunch: 13:00 + break until 16:00
  • Afternoon session: 16:00 to 20:00

Coffee and snacks will be served at 16:00

We will be updating the trello board as we go.

  • Please ensure that all outstanding items from the trello board are covered here in the agenda under the appropriate heading.

We realize the midday break is long. This was done for two reasons. First because all three days are quite full we wanted to give people some opportunity to walk about the city, and second because dinner in Barcelona is usually quite late and this puts us on the local schedule. We can discuss further on Monday morning if anyone feels strongly there is a need to change this approach. Bear in mind that whatever is decided we still require three full working days.

Monday 13 October

Website and outreach

  1. Site content (Moni)
    • GO site/docs development. (Moni, Seth) trello
      • Review list of missing website content, ACTION: get volunteers to complete each missing item
      • Video tutorials, ACTION: discuss suggestions for other tutorials
    • Google analytics (Seth/Rama)
  2. AmiGO feedback and development (Seth)
    • Shared QuickGO graphics
    • Cloud deployment
  3. Public consumption of GO content
    • Linked data version of GO. trello (Chris)
      • What types of files can/should we provide?
      • How should we distribute annotations to protein complexes and/or other entities, e.g. ncRNAs?
    • Improving documentation
      • ontology downloads
      • documentation on annotations needs to be more user-friendly
  4. GO Help Desk
    • Adding people to the rota
    • Assigning the help desk
    • adding to FAQ
  5. Public submission of annotations
    • Documentation reviewed (Moni)
    • Users able to syntactically validate submissions online (Heiko)
    • Preparation for synapse meeting at Stanley Institute
      • Who will go, use of Noctua, ease of submission, etc.

Software infrastructure - part 1

  1. GO Enrichment Analysis (Judy, Paul, Chris, Suzi)
    • report on needs/ improvements in AmiGO tool (Seth, Paul)
      • intersection with Panther db often down
    • What are the right tools/algorithms to use for different types of input data?
      • E.g. microarray vs RNA-seq; dealing with bias
    • gold standard sets
    • Benchmarking
    • ISMB Workshop
      • Judy working on white paper 'Gene Enrichment Anaysis using the GO: the good, the bad, the ugly.' I will have early draft at meeting.

Common Curation Environment

The objective is to have environment into which all curators can enter data and from which each group can extract data files.

  1. Noctua development (Chris, Seth, Heiko, Suzi)
    • LEGO Specification - an updated version. (TENTATIVE - pending discussions Huaiyu, 20')
    • LEGO models of annotation extensions (David OS)
    • BioPax imports (Reactome synchronization)
    • Export to legacy formats: http://build.berkeleybop.org/job/export-lego-to-legacy/
    • Timeline for releases and annotation usage (Chris/Suzi)
  2. Textpresso Central/Capella (Michael Mueller)
  3. Update on Protein2GO, including annotation to IntACT IDs (Tony 15-20mins)

Tuesday 14 October

Phylogenetic Annotation

  1. PAINT curation updates, analysis and Jamboree debrief (Huaiyu, Pascale, 30')
  2. Autophagy in PAINT: lessons learned (Marc F, Pascale)
  3. Annotations, including NOTs, to isoforms; different functions for isoforms (Karen remotely? [could this be done 2 pm or later if both Karen and Darren Natale are to call in] Judy/David can present)
    • can we identify these from annotation files? do we exclude these genes from PAINT curation?
  4. Family tree update status (UniProt 2014 release)
  5. Consistency assessment with curated orthologs PomBase & ZFIN (Paul)
  6. Jenkin running of PAINT GAF file updates (Suzi)
  7. Coordination with automatic annotation providers (i.e. InterPro2GO) (Paul)

Literature Annotation

  1. With/From field cardinality proposal (Rachael 30-45min) (Decisions: what is the cardinality of the with field for each evidence code? Can we use pipes/commas consistently as we do for extensions? If an 'AND' is converted to an 'OR' is this really a weaker statement or a different statement-do we need a 3rd delimiter?)
  2. Annotation extension relationships: how to use them (Ruth)
  3. Discussion of catabolism and biosynthesis (Pascale)
  4. Discussion on 'protein dimerization activity' vs. e.g. 'protein homotetramerization' (MF vs BP).
  5. Refresher/overview of available TG templates (Jane)
  6. Cross-species entries in Annotation Extensions - is there any value in this information for GO? (Re-visiting an earlier discussion we had about this in Cambridge, 2013.) (Kimberly)

Annotation Workflow

  1. Jenkins GAF QC checks and inferences (Heiko, Rama)
  2. GPAD pipeline
  3. Monique Zahn: Quality control process in neXtProt (about 15 minutes)

Wednesday 15 October

Ontology Production and R&D

  1. Sourceforge back-log; how to address?
    • Sourceforge jamboree worked, but now we are near 300 again
  2. Pilot project to replace NCI thesaurus 'biological process' branch with GO biological process (Chris)
  3. GO and human disease (Chris)
  4. High-level protein family classification and application to annotation deepening (Jane)
    • Can we use PRO classes for protein families?
  5. Proposed changes to Molecular Function (Jane)
  6. Progress in moving GO editing and annotation extension relations to OWL. (David OS)
  7. Clarity vs Expressiveness in GO - striking a balance (David OS working on a white paper on this).
  8. Roche/GO project (David OS)
  9. inference of 'part_of' relationships (Chris)

Software infrastructure - part 2

  1. Migration of all cron jobs to Jenkins - status
  2. GOlr loading refactoring (Seth)
  3. jsPaint status
  4. CANTO deployment
  5. RHEA pipeline - no change
  6. mySQL retirement (Chris)
  7. Translation scripts (GAF<-->GPAD, LEGO/OWL<-->GAF/GPAD)