Annotation Advocacy and Coordination group report for November 2011
From GO Public
GO managers: Rama Balakrishnan and Emily Dimmer, who support the work carried out by the GO Consortium annotation groups.
November 2011 PomBase: Run an undergraduate GO annotation practical for first year biochemists at Cambridge University which involves GO annotation of a set of fission yeast papers. We will do this practical for the 2nd year running on 14th Nov. We hope to roll this out as a departmental mini-workshop for people to annotate their own papers when the generic community is available.
UniProt-GOA and FlyBase: discussion with AGOA (Auditory GO annotation initiative)
October 2011 Jim Hu and Brenley McIntosh: GO and CACO talk;whether high school students from these high-performing science schools could participate in CACAO Anual professional meeting of the National Consortium of Specialized Secondary Schools of Mathematics, Science, and Technology.
September 2011 BHF-UCL: run a 2 day annotation workshop for 20 UCL staff and postgraduate students
BHF-UCL: 4 of last years MSc students to participate in the CACAO competition
BHF-UCL: Taught a module of the MSc genetics of Human Disease (attended by 18 students), the students are required to annotate 3 papers using GO terms during the course.
Jim Hu: GO and CACO talk at the ASM-JGI Functional Genomics Workshop at Hiram College in Hiram, Ohio.
Development of Annotation Guidelines
- Development of Annotation guidelines for annotating to Transcription related terms (MF and BP)
- New clause for use of IC evidence code (documentation)
- Jamboree to go through annotation related issues on transcription
- Guidelines for populating Col-16 in collaboration with Val, Midori
- Mapping ECO codes to GO evidence codes
- More QC checks ('with' column for IPI), annotations to GO:0005488, binding should also be made with IPI and should have an ID in the with column.
- Invited Eleanor Stanley from UniProt to talk about complete proteome and Reference proteome