Difference between revisions of "Manager Call 2019-12-4"

From GO Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Zenodo bug during the last release)
 
(One intermediate revision by the same user not shown)
Line 3: Line 3:
 
* Agenda: Suzi
 
* Agenda: Suzi
 
* Minutes: Seth
 
* Minutes: Seth
 +
* Present: Seth, Peter, Suzi, Pascale, Paul, David, Ben, Chris, Judy, LP, Kimberly
  
 
=Discussion points=
 
=Discussion points=
Line 9: Line 10:
 
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Bv-7MIGpSzXxa7F6CkbhfKzoAcusydGs
 
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Bv-7MIGpSzXxa7F6CkbhfKzoAcusydGs
  
 +
<code>
 +
[Who is doing what?]
 +
 +
Base reporting on projects in repo? Pascale seeding them from finished and active?
 +
 +
Paul: Each of the managers should go through the progress report and add where needed.
 +
 +
Chris: create stubs and assign to manager. Management, resource, and informatics.
 +
 +
Paul: they actually just wanted a single document
 +
 +
All: Wot?
 +
 +
[General discussion about where stuff is.]
 +
 +
Paul: Actually broken-up doc. But there was also an overall.
 +
 +
Pascale/Chris: red will be added back.
 +
 +
Pascale/Chris: [Trying to organize, looking at sections, divide work.]
 +
 +
Pascale: publications under management?
 +
 +
Pascale: Hopefully stuff will be added on Thursday and Friday
 +
 +
Pascale: All, take a look at the “DRAFT” docs
 +
</code>
  
 
==Status of Projects==
 
==Status of Projects==
 
Most projects don't have objectives/specifications yet. We need to have this soon.  
 
Most projects don't have objectives/specifications yet. We need to have this soon.  
  
 +
<code>
 +
Pascale: we don’t have project plans for most projects at this point.
  
 +
Paul: Overview to date.
 +
 +
LP: Kimberly does not scale
 +
 +
Kimberly: We should
 +
 +
Chris: We are still dealing with last sprint’s overhead
 +
 +
Kimberly/Paul: Noctua Form 2.0, then ART
 +
 +
---
 +
 +
Paul: In the next week, all owners talk to tech leads and fill everything out. At least aim for a draft in a week.
 +
</code>
 +
 +
==GO presence at TAGC?==
 +
 +
Moni did a booth 4 years ago. Do we have a plan for a separate GO presence? Or merge with Alliance?
 +
 +
<code>
 +
Suzi: Are there booths still available?
 +
 +
Judy: Alliance and GO share booth. Deadline: Dec 20th early reg. Useful to have a couple of people there.
 +
</code>
 +
 +
= For next time? =
  
 
==Implementing a testing process==
 
==Implementing a testing process==
 
* We have had some unexpected side effect of the deployment of some code, last example was in Noctua.  
 
* We have had some unexpected side effect of the deployment of some code, last example was in Noctua.  
 
As we move towards being the provider of the annotation tool for various groups, we need a way to avoid these situations, by having a formal process of testing and releasing updates to the code.  
 
As we move towards being the provider of the annotation tool for various groups, we need a way to avoid these situations, by having a formal process of testing and releasing updates to the code.  
 
  
 
==More documentation on software architecture==
 
==More documentation on software architecture==
Line 33: Line 88:
 
* Is it is a good idea to rely on external resources for this ? CERN is a research project - do they really guarantee to be stable for 'ever'? what is our backup plan, should they not be able to support maintaining our archive ?
 
* Is it is a good idea to rely on external resources for this ? CERN is a research project - do they really guarantee to be stable for 'ever'? what is our backup plan, should they not be able to support maintaining our archive ?
  
==GO presence at TAGC?==
 
 
Moni did a booth 4 years ago. Do we have a plan for a separate GO presence? Or merge with Alliance?
 
  
 
[[Category: GO Managers Meetings]]
 
[[Category: GO Managers Meetings]]

Latest revision as of 09:12, 4 December 2019

Agenda

  • Agenda: Suzi
  • Minutes: Seth
  • Present: Seth, Peter, Suzi, Pascale, Paul, David, Ben, Chris, Judy, LP, Kimberly

Discussion points

2019 Progress report

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Bv-7MIGpSzXxa7F6CkbhfKzoAcusydGs

[Who is doing what?]

Base reporting on projects in repo? Pascale seeding them from finished and active?

Paul: Each of the managers should go through the progress report and add where needed.

Chris: create stubs and assign to manager. Management, resource, and informatics.

Paul: they actually just wanted a single document

All: Wot?

[General discussion about where stuff is.]

Paul: Actually broken-up doc. But there was also an overall.

Pascale/Chris: red will be added back.

Pascale/Chris: [Trying to organize, looking at sections, divide work.]

Pascale: publications under management?

Pascale: Hopefully stuff will be added on Thursday and Friday

Pascale: All, take a look at the “DRAFT” docs

Status of Projects

Most projects don't have objectives/specifications yet. We need to have this soon.

Pascale: we don’t have project plans for most projects at this point.

Paul: Overview to date.

LP: Kimberly does not scale

Kimberly: We should

Chris: We are still dealing with last sprint’s overhead

Kimberly/Paul: Noctua Form 2.0, then ART

---

Paul: In the next week, all owners talk to tech leads and fill everything out. At least aim for a draft in a week.

GO presence at TAGC?

Moni did a booth 4 years ago. Do we have a plan for a separate GO presence? Or merge with Alliance?

Suzi: Are there booths still available?

Judy: Alliance and GO share booth. Deadline: Dec 20th early reg. Useful to have a couple of people there.

For next time?

Implementing a testing process

  • We have had some unexpected side effect of the deployment of some code, last example was in Noctua.

As we move towards being the provider of the annotation tool for various groups, we need a way to avoid these situations, by having a formal process of testing and releasing updates to the code.

More documentation on software architecture

Programmers and Product Owners (probably except for Seth and Chris) would really benefit from having a software architecture diagram - does that already exist ? - Specifically: how do the Biolink API, the GO Triple Store, Minerva, the GO API, GOlr, etc ? relate to each other -

  • what is the data flow?
  • which ones have dev/prod versions?
  • how are these various tools incorporated in outward-facing products?
  • .... ?
  • we need to know what is implemented - not just the final goal

Zenodo bug during the last release

  • What was the problem in the end ? Why was Zenodo not being responsive?
  • Is it is a good idea to rely on external resources for this ? CERN is a research project - do they really guarantee to be stable for 'ever'? what is our backup plan, should they not be able to support maintaining our archive ?