Difference between revisions of "Manager Call 2020-05-20"

From GO Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Strategy for moving forward)
m (Strategy for moving forward)
Line 33: Line 33:
 
*'''AI:''' Contact Michelle to get her input on how best to arrange a users meeting.
 
*'''AI:''' Contact Michelle to get her input on how best to arrange a users meeting.
 
*Possibly also be pro-active about what to include in a users meeting by soliciting input via the go-announcments list? other lists?
 
*Possibly also be pro-active about what to include in a users meeting by soliciting input via the go-announcments list? other lists?
 +
*We need to consider what resources we have to support different types of meetings, frequency of meetings, etc.
  
 
==Consortium Meeting Recap==
 
==Consortium Meeting Recap==

Revision as of 08:46, 20 May 2020

Agenda

  • Agenda: Huaiyu
  • Minutes: Suzi
  • Present: Chris, David, Huaiyu, Judy, Kimberly, Laurent-Philippe, Pascale, Paul T., Seth
  • Regrets:

Results of user meeting survey

  • https://docs.google.com/forms/d/11BSWAs8G5vSEBOKubSNRIXNXyD3CYT586M2uX26FTc4/edit#responses
  • Most attendees filled out the survey relatively quickly after the meeting
  • 50% PhD student and post-docs; others were mostly staff scientists and PIs
  • Most people were working in bioinformatics, some bench scientists
  • Gene function and enrichment analyses were most common uses of GO
  • More targeted meetings about enrichment, data access and integration, APIs, curation would be helpful
  • 50% of users work with human data; others mice, rat, all organisms

Discussion points from survey

  • Judy: bench scientists increasingly need to have skills in data analysis; we need to serve this community as well
  • David: should we have more than one type of users meeting depending upon who we're targeting/training?
  • Huaiyu: it would also be interesting to know what the distribution of bench scientists vs bioinformaticians is at the Pasteur Institute
  • Paul T: we need to know what questions people are trying to ask and answer by using GO
  • Paul T: what obstacles do people find when trying to use GO
  • Laurent-Philippe: can we recommend specific tools for people to use, could be ours, could be other groups' tools
  • Chris/Paul T: maybe we should re-visit the tool registry idea but define the standards for inclusion
  • Laurent-Philippe: update/provide new ten simple rules/tips for using and/or developing tools for GO
  • Chris: we will increasingly need to answer questions about the differences among GO-CAM, Reactome, KEGG, etc.
  • L-P and Chris: we also need to improve documentation on when to use enrichment vs subsets
    • Paul T: Dustin can make the PANTHER slim available

Strategy for moving forward

  • Virtual meeting seemed to work quite well
  • More frequent virtual meetings, along with some on-site meetings when we have GOC meetings, would be good
  • AI: Contact Michelle to get her input on how best to arrange a users meeting.
  • Possibly also be pro-active about what to include in a users meeting by soliciting input via the go-announcments list? other lists?
  • We need to consider what resources we have to support different types of meetings, frequency of meetings, etc.

Consortium Meeting Recap