RefG Princeton April 12-13 2010
- Very useful to spend a few minutes looking at a review, geneWiki, etc for an overview of the family when PAINT curators are not familiar.
- Use ortholog mapping to do a reality check on the tree: overall look, see if OrthoMCL makes sense. If it does not, contact Paul and the tree will be edited as appropriate.
- Start with Mol. Function, Cell Component, Biol. Process
- Can be useful (leads to improvements to GO structure) downloads terms and views the DAG for all terms (possible future feature request)
- Every NOT must have an Evidence entry. Add notes below the generic paragraph that pops up.
- When PAINT curator finds an experimental annotation, the SOP is to contact the MOD curator, but they do not need to wait. They can just add the note to the Evidence entry that the annotation exists and the tree will be revisited.
- General long branch issue: consider "Do Not Propagate" pruning automatically. Other option is to manually examine the Ref Genome proteins, but do not look at every single other proteins for other species.
PAINT feature requests
- Enable the ability to say "do not propagate" to a particular clade, distinguished from adding an explicit NOT, for example, based on long branch/rapid divergence
- Down the road feature: be able to launch a DAG viewer to see all annotations in context of GO structure
- Add domain information
Quick tour for new PAINT users (Li and Mary): Ed gave a quick tour of the latest version of PAINT.
Review protein families, see: http://wiki.geneontology.org/index.php/GAFs_for_trees-based_annotations While reviewing protein families, we can generate a list of propagation rules. We can pick up lunch in our cafe, and work through lunch.
- Annotate root to ATP-dependent peptidase activity based on experimental annotation span across species
- STOP PROPAGATION to radA clade, we know that they do not have this activity, use the rapid_divergence qualifier
Rm 253 1pm-4pm.
Continue to review protein families. Refine the list of propagation rules after a day's worth of reviewing families.
Rm 253 10am-11am
GO annotation camp discussion
Rm 280 11am-1pm
Working lunch to go over misc. discussion items:
- (Pascale): Should we remove GO:0005515 (protein binding) form the list of terms we see in PAINT?
- (Mike): Is the PANTHER to P-POD OrthMCL mapping currently working?
- (Mike): Should we fix the dates in the new GAF files to reflect when the annotations were actually made?
- (Mike): Could we re-generate the statistics from the GAF files using a script (rather than manually)?
- Probably easy enough, once we discuss what stats we're interested in capturing (Ed)
- (Mike): Pascale noticed a problem with the literature linkouts to Wormbase, and I just had some trouble with ZFIN
- Fixed (Ed)
Rm 253 1pm-4pm
Annotation tracker: Sven, CJM, Seth
- Current issues/roadblocks
- Subfamily issue: can we deal?
- Can we leverage the annotation reporter to generate the monthly lists in an easier way?
- Title: ???
- Authors: as on this mailing list, and possibly adding CJM, Seth, and Sven if we add a section on the DB and the other GO-top PIs
- Affiliations: obviously
- Abstract: Paul?
- Author Summary: Suzi will take a crack at this
- Introduction: Pascale&Paul
- Results: as below, with possible addition of DB section and web interface, although this could be a different paper. Ed and Suzi can write #1, Paul&Mike for #2?
- Discussion: #3 (Mike & Kara)
- Materials and Methods: cut and dry, write at the end
- Acknowledgments: all the curators at the MODs, the grant...
- References, Figure Legends, Tables: as they fall out from the above.