- This code is used to indicate that experimental results support annotation of a gene product's molecular function, role in a biological process, or subcellular location.
- The EXP code is the parent code for the IDA, IPI, IMP, IGI and IEP experimental codes.
- The EXP evidence code can be used where any of the assays described for the IDA, IPI, IMP, IGI, or IEP evidence codes is reported.
- However, curators should annotate to one of the more specific experimental codes (IDA, IPI, IMP, IGI, or IEP) instead of EXP.
Examples of EXP Usage
|DB Object ID
||DB Object Symbol
||With (or) From
||protein phosphatase 2C Ptc4
||GO:0033549 (MAP kinase phosphatase activity)
Use of the With/From Field for EXP
- No value should be entered into the With/From field for EXP annotations.
When EXP Should NOT be Used
- EXP should not be used when a more specific experimental evidence code can be applied.
Quality Control Checks
Evidence and Conclusion Ontology
ECO:0000269 experimental evidence used in manual assertion
Curator Guide to GO Evidence Codes
Gene Ontology website GO Evidence Codes list
Last reviewed: February 23, 2018