2018 Montreal GOC Meeting Agenda
Montreal meeting Milestones
New Pipeline & new pipeline documentation
Kimberly, Pascale, Chris, Seth, etc Must be completed (as much as possible) and announced
Information points: Manage migration of consortium members to use explicit snapshot PURLs :
GO rules update, pipeline and error reports
Eric & Pascale
- Documentation of rules: Which annotation validation rules are currently implemented? https://github.com/geneontology/go-annotation/issues/1928
- Current rules status & future priorities
- For MODs: where to find reports
PAINT pipeline update
PAINT GAF file generation QC
Huaiyu and Pascale https://github.com/orgs/geneontology/projects/23
Kimberly Seth, etc https://github.com/orgs/geneontology/projects/19
GO website migration
Laurent-Philippe, Suzanna, Suzi, etc: https://github.com/orgs/geneontology/projects/22
Ontology and Annotation documentation update
David, Kimberly and Pascale (random thoughts:
- Ontology: mention the creation of 'projects' in GH where we moved old projects, so that its' easier to find old discussions
GO subsets update
- Deprecated a number of unused/unmaintained subsets
- Show subset yaml files and how they are used
- Each subset needs a maintainer
- Gene Product to terms relations: https://github.com/orgs/geneontology/projects/13
- Signaling 2017 update
- Transcription reviews
- ECM reviews
- MF refactor including transcription: https://github.com/orgs/geneontology/projects/25
- ECM update
- Stop creating and start merging precomposed terms: X protein binding, protein complex x binding, etc
- Pathways2GO: https://github.com/orgs/geneontology/projects/24
- Ontology maintenance: https://github.com/orgs/geneontology/projects/14
Handling redundant information
- Define redundant information:
In AmiGO, we should be able to improve the display by removing redundant information. That information may be useful for certain purposes, so we should provide it in files. We could also provide the 'core set' ('stringent set') in some version of files.
Discussion points: Is redundant, non-experimental annotation ever useful?
- Are there any use cases where people have used these annotations for some type of analysis?
- Some pipelines (InterPro2GO, SPKW, PAINT, F-P links), sometimes provide data that is already captured experimentally, and some groups would like the redundancy reduced.
- Should all GOC members be handling redundancy in the same way?
- If redundant, non-experimental annotations are present and are going to be removed, at what point in the pipeline should they be filtered, e.g. annotation file production by GOC, annotation file processing by MODs, website display?
- If we filter annotations files, should we then also provide two annotation files for users, one complete and one filtered?
- Doubled up IBA+EXP annotations (from Karen Christie)
- Issue with GOC inference file (i) incorrect aspect reported
Representing complete proteomes in GO (added by Val)
Datasets (obtaining/maintaining complete datasets with unique identifiers)
- What does reference proteome mean, why we have duplicates for pufferfish, and why it includes unreviewed proteins? See https://docs.google.com/document/d/1l4hZw_ZTor8RoTjYTNS4FtGAba4HZrewmjccrSXJ9Hs/edit
- Which organisms other than cerevisiae and pombe have looked at all protein coding genes for the availability/possibility of GO annotation? Establish the difference between:
- (1) "not in the GO database (not found);
- (2) "unknown" (ND),
- (3) "unannotated" (no ND, and no annotation in Aspect of interest)
(difference can be established using the complete known protein ID set for your organism and GO term mapper https://go.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/GOTermMapper)
Breakout sessions topics
- Guidelines for submitting annotations to GO - for example Ivan Erill also had an idea to ask the organizers of the Phage Meeting to provide an option for abstract submissions to include author-generated GO annotations. What would our guidelines be ?
- GO Slims - review Alliance slim with latest stats from Mary Dolan. Does the goslim_agr need any updates?
- 'Response to' workshop (similar to the signaling WS)
- Use cases: Should we add this to the agenda? What would be a productive way of discussing this topic? https://docs.google.com/document/d/104m4jUNjPH9pCpskg8E29Zm2pLHhPFmKyIFLa9l_EOQ/edit
Product owners/tech leads discussion - lunch Thursday
- Small debrief session: Lessons learned, suggestions for improvements, next face-2-face meeting