2019 Berkeley SAB Meeting Logistics
The 2019 SAB meeting will be Friday, October 11, 2019, from 9am-3pm in Room 248, 717 Potter Street in west Berkeley (this is a change of location--we were not able to get videoconferencing capability on the UC Berkeley campus).
Please see the "Getting around" section of the GOC meeting page for more information about getting to 717 Potter St.
The SAB dinner will be Thursday, October 10 at 7:30pm at Corso, 1788 Shattuck Ave., Berkeley.
Arranging travel and accommodations
Lourdes Montano <Lourdes.Montano@med.usc.edu> can help arrange your air travel and hotel in advance if you’d like, and we will reimburse local travel and meals. Or, you can arrange your own travel and/or hotel, which we can reimburse afterwards.
- Address: 1603 Powell Street, Emeryville (1.4 miles from the Potter Street meeting location)
- Phone: 1-800-325-3535
- Rate: $175/night (single or double) block rate for “Gene Ontology / GO meeting”.
- How to book: Book using this link: https://www.marriott.com/events/start.mi?id=1563407776453&key=GRP or call 1-800-325-3535 and ask for the “Gene Ontology” room block. (NOTE: room block expired on Sep 6; link may not work.]
- Last day to get the group rate: September 6, 2019.
- Description: A normal hotel. Has an outdoor pool and a fitness center.
- Advantages: Closest hotel to meeting location.
- Address: 2086 Allston Way, Berkeley
- Phone: 866-466-9199
- Rate: UC Berkeley rate: $215/night. Same price for double or single.
- How to book: You will need to phone and ask for the UC Berkeley rate--not available online.
- Description: Completely remodeled a few years ago. Has a fitness center but no pool.
- Advantages: Right in the heart of downtown Berkeley, near BART, the UC campus, and many world-class restaurants
The Graduate (formerly the Hotel Durant)
- Address: 2600 Durant Ave, Berkeley
- Phone: 510-845-8981
- Rate: Average of $210/night for a room with one queen.
- How to book: No special rates; you can book online
- Description: No pool or fitness center. More distinctive than the similarly-priced Hotel Shattuck Plaza. A recent article about The Graduate noted, "Berkeley's quirky counterculture is represented by bong-shaped lamps in the guestrooms and a restroom urinal painted with the logo and colors of Stanford, Cal-Berkeley’s arch-rival." Known for having made a brief appearance in the movie of the same name.
- Advantages: Near UC Campus and Telegraph Avenue, a colorful if slightly sketchy part of Berkeley.
|Name||Organization||Role||Attend SAB meeting (11-Oct)||Attend SAB dinner (10-Oct)||Hotel||Special dietary constraints|
|Paul Thomas||USC||GO PI||Yes||Yes||Four Points|
|Paul Sternberg||Caltech||GO PI||Yes||Yes||Four Points?|
|Chris Mungall||LBNL||GO PI||Yes||Yes||N/A||Vegetarian + seafood|
|Mike Cherry||Stanford||GO PI||Yes||Yes||Four Points|
|Judy Blake||Jackson Lab||GO PI||Yes||Yes||Four Points|
|Valentina di Francesco||NHGRI||Program Officer||Will attend remotely||No||-||-|
|Trey Ideker||UCSD||SAB member||Yes||Yes|
|Gill Bejerano||Stanford||SAB member||Will attend remotely||No||-||-|
|Tuuli Lappalainen||Columbia||SAB member||Will attend remotely||No||-||-|
|Christophe Dessimoz||UCL||SAB member||Will attend remotely||No||-||-|
|Donna Slonim||Tufts||SAB member||Will attend remotely||No||-||-|
|Alex Pico||UCSF||SAB member||Yes||Yes|
|Sue Rhee||Carnegie||SAB member||Yes||No||(Arriving from SF via Uber)|
|Paul Pavlidis||UBC||SAB member||Will attend remotely||No||-||-|