GeneProduct to GOTerm Relation:enables
Jump to navigation Jump to search
What to capture with the has_input relation
enablesrelation is used to relate a gene or gene product to a GO Molecular Function. A gene product
enablesa Molecular function if it can perform the reaction on its own. The
enablesrelation can be used for members of complexes if the activity is mediated by that gene products and other subunits are accessory.
- 'enables' is considered the default relation between a gene or gene product and a Molecular Function.
What not to capture
- Only gene products that mediate a Molecular Function should be annotated with the
- Accessory subunits should not be annotated to a Molecular Function in which they do not directly participate. These can usually be assigned other activities such as
GO:0060090 molecular adaptor activityor
GO:0098772 molecular function regulator activity
- See Contributes_to documentation for activities mediated by multiple gene products.
Usage examples for the enables relation
- MAPK1 enables protein kinase activity. This indicates that the MAPK1 gene product executes the protein kinase activity.
- Damage-induced ubiquitylation of human RNA polymerase II by the ubiquitin ligase Nedd4, but not Cockayne syndrome proteins or BRCA1.
- The paper demonstrates that NEDD4 'enables' a ubiquitin-protein ligase activity
- Examplar: http://noctua.berkeleybop.org/editor/graph/gomodel:5323da1800000002
Last reviewed: May 11, 2018