Manager Call 2020-05-20
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Agenda: Huaiyu
- Minutes: Suzi
- Present: Chris, David, Huaiyu, Judy, Kimberly, Laurent-Philippe, Pascale, Paul T., Seth
Results of user meeting survey
- Most attendees filled out the survey relatively quickly after the meeting
- 50% PhD student and post-docs; others were mostly staff scientists and PIs
- Most people were working in bioinformatics, some bench scientists
- Gene function and enrichment analyses were most common uses of GO
- More targeted meetings about enrichment, data access and integration, APIs, curation would be helpful
- 50% of users work with human data; others mice, rat, all organisms
Discussion points from survey
- Judy: bench scientists increasingly need to have skills in data analysis; we need to serve this community as well
- David: should we have more than one type of users meeting depending upon who we're targeting/training?
- Huaiyu: it would also be interesting to know what the distribution of bench scientists vs bioinformaticians is at the Pasteur Institute
- Paul T: we need to know what questions people are trying to ask and answer by using GO
- Paul T: what obstacles do people find when trying to use GO
- Laurent-Philippe: can we recommend specific tools for people to use, could be ours, could be other groups' tools
- Chris/Paul T: maybe we should re-visit the tool registry idea but define the standards for inclusion
- Laurent-Philippe: update/provide new ten simple rules/tips for using and/or developing tools for GO
- Chris: we will increasingly need to answer questions about the differences among GO-CAM, Reactome, KEGG, etc.
- L-P and Chris: we also need to improve documentation on when to use enrichment vs subsets
- Paul T: Dustin can make the PANTHER slim available
Strategy for moving forward
- Virtual meeting seemed to work quite well
- More frequent virtual meetings, along with some on-site meetings when we have GOC meetings, would be good
- AI: Contact Michelle to get her input on how best to arrange a users meeting.
- Possibly also be pro-active about what to include in a users meeting by soliciting input via the go-announcments list? other lists?
- We need to consider what resources we have to support different types of meetings, frequency of meetings, etc.
- Also, solicit questions before the meeting.
Consortium Meeting Recap
- Laurent-Philippe generated a summary for Paul S.