Difference between revisions of "Wiki best practice"
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
== General ==
== General ==
Latest revision as of 09:05, 12 April 2019
Try to avoid using "I" and "We". It's rarely obvious who edited a given wikisection last.
Naming Wiki Pages
Pages names - like GO IDs - should stand the test of time. If you want to make a page for a consortium meeting, don't call it GO_Meeting. Call it GO_Meeting_Sept_2007 or something unambiguous. Having a grouping page called GO_Meetings is perfectly appropriate however, to group all GO_Meetings pages.
- Do not use "/" as a substitute for directories
- "GO-CAM" should never be abbreviated, and should always be written in uppercase with a hyphen.
If you later realize the name of a page no longer reflects the contents, use the "move" option. It's one of the tabs at the top of the page. It's quite similar (but less extreme than) obsoleting a term and providing replaced_by links. Mediawiki will take care of all the redirection.
- Learn basic mediawiki markup.
- Use "=" as initial indentation. Add further levels by adding extra "=" characters.
- Avoid using HTML tags unless absolutely necessary.
Use wiki categories
These can help keep pages automagically organized.
See the MediaWiki help on Categories
See for example:
Full list of categories used on this wiki:
Watch pages you're interested in - see the tab at the top. You can configure your preferences so that anything you edit you automatically watch.
Linking between wiki pages
To make links within the wiki, use wiki syntax with the double square brackets, like this:
[[Name of page]]
Linking to external webpages
To make links to external webpages, use single brackets:
To give a name to the link, leave a space between the URL and the name:
[http://geneontology.org/ GO website]
Format on page: GO website
Archiving and retiring pages
Retired pages contain contents that is obsolete and likely inaccurate. Archived pages include reports, meeting minutes, etc. that are saved for reference.
- Move page, adding "(Archived)" or "Retired" at the end of the page name
- Add Category:Archived or Category:Retired as appropriate.
Last reviewed: April 11, 2019